Friday, December 23, 2011

FOOOOOD!!!!!

I have been making some AMAZING new concoctions in my kitchen here lately.  Well, mostly E&C's kitchen but whatever.  I'm trying out something completely new to me tonight.  I always play it safe with chicken dishes, but I wanted a challenge tonight.  And let's face it, I'm sick of chicken at the moment.  So I went to Homeland and bought some fresh salmon, a veggie mix (celery, onions, and mushrooms), and some imported cheeses.

You know my love of wines, so of course I love cheese!  That, and my dad and I used to try all the cheeses at the deli when I was a kid.

I digress.

So I sauteed the veggies in olive oil, basically until they were hot.  Squeezed about a quarter of a lemon onto the salmon, followed by coarse black pepper, greek seasoning, and this strange lil salad seasoning I found at Big Lots (Salad Jazz in tomato basil) (also put some on the veggies).

Preheat the over to 350 ish.  Depends on how fast you want to cook it.  I like slow cooking meat because it keeps it from getting crunchy on the edges.  Top the salmon with the veggies.  Pop in the oven.






The only thing I know about timing salmon in the oven is that it's done when it's dry looking (thanks for the useful tip dad... lol).

It is currently in the oven as I type.  My apartment smells delectable, just saying.

The cheeses I bought were a French hickory smoked rambol and what they called Drunken Goat Cheese (the rind is treated with a red wine).  I can't decide which I want tonight.  I may just try small pieces of both.

And the finished product:

It looks interesting but tastes oh so good!  The greek seasoning really brings out the salmon flavor. 


I know, I know, styrofoam plates are sooooo classy, but hey when you don't have anything else you do what you can.  The purple rind is the goat cheese, the orange is the rambol.  Both go well with the salmon, but I prefer the goat cheese.  The flavor isn't all that strong so it doesn't compete with the fish.  The rambol has a strong after taste, which while it goes well with the rest of the dish, isn't what I would usually pair with it.




I'm off to enjoy the rest of my meal!  Happy cooking and Merry Christmas!!

Love!!

No comments: