Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients:

Tomato paste
salsa (you can make this if you want, I just didn't have the patience) (any kind that suits your fancy, I used World Table roasted tomato chipotle salsa)
mushrooms (any kind, I used shitake)
canned tomatoes (mine were home grown but store bought will work)
minced garlic
ground pepper
rosemary
thyme
dried basil
oregano
onion powder
cumin
crushed red pepper

Optional: onions, bell pepper, olives, etc

Basically, mix it all together to taste how you want.  The amount of each ingredient is up to you.  Make sure it reduces so it isn't too watery.

I added my favorite pasta cheeses while it cooked to bring out their flavors.  The salsa isn't something I think could not be left out.  I wanted the spice from it.  Next time, I'm going to try it without it and substitute crushed tomatoes.

No pictures for this one, it looked like regular spaghetti sauce, haha.

Oddly enough, I had several cans of spaghetti sauce in my cabinet, but I wanted spicy, cheesy, and mushrooms which I can't seem to find a brand that mixes all that.

No comments: